What is Pilates?
Pilates, originally known as Contrology, is the complete coordination of body, mind and spirit. You acquire, purposefully complete control of your body and through proper repetitions of the exercises, you gradually and progressively acquire that natural rhythm and co-ordination associated with all your subconscious activities. (Joseph Pilates 1883-1967, Return to Life)
The result of which is a stronger, more supple, functional body less prone to injury.
The exercises not only stimulate muscles through movement also organs within the body through the action of breathing.
• Safe Rehabilitation, Recovery from Injury (Muscular, Spinal and Joint) and Prevention of Injury.
• Increase flexibility, muscle tone and strengthen the whole body.
• Increased lung capacity and better circulation. Joseph Pilates stated in a good practice session cause a spring clean effect to your system.
• Increase awareness of your body leading to improved balance and coordination.
• Decrease stress levels as you acquire relaxation techniques from breathing and movement.
• Contrology develops the body UNIFORMLY, corrects wrong posture, restores physical vitality, invigorates the mind and elevates the spirit’,J.P